Macaroni and cheese would be the meal I request before being executed, but I'm sure the prison chef will mess it up like most restaurants do. Most restaurants make it with a blend of "exotic" cheeses like Fontina, Gruyere, Gorganzola, and the likes. They always top it with a bread crumb mixture. Very distracting. Some even use other pasta shapes. Sacrilege, sacrilege! Nope, this is not what I want.
I want a cheap sharp cheddar cheese — Cracker Barrel to be exact. There's no fancy bechamel sauce. The closest I've come to my mom's is mac & cheese at soul food restaurants, but these are always dripping in grease and leave your lips and face with a waxy, greasy sheen.
I'll let you know when I find the right one. I'll let you know about all the wrong ones, too. Sooo many wrong ones. Lament with me.
Macaroni and Cheese
- Boil enough elbow macaroni to fill a normal size casserole dish and do just that.
- Put 5 or so pats of butter in with the pasta.
- Put a tablespoon or two of flour in with the pasta.
- Throw a beaten egg or two in there for more stick-together-firmness, if you like.
- Cube Sharp Cheddar Cheese into the dish.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all of this together.
- Fill the dish with milk until the milk pretty much covers the pasta - not completely covers, you want to still see the noodles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and done.